EU citizens living in Scotland will need to apply to the UK Government’s EU Settlement Scheme in order to continue living, working and studying in the UK. To help guide you through the steps you need to take to stay, the Scottish Government has produced a package of support at

A support and advice service is also available for all citizens living in Scotland affected by the UK Government’s EU Settlement Scheme who may need additional information and support.

EU citizens who have been in the UK for five continuous years will be able to apply for settled status. EU citizens who have been in the UK less than five years can apply for presettled status. After five years continuous residency they can then apply for settled status. For further information please visit:

Guide for EU Citizens

A package of support is available to download by visiting the EU citizens staying in Scotland.

Different terms may be used by EU/EEA nationals may use when discussing their status. A guide to these terms can be found here

For more information please call the Citizens Advice Scotland freephone national helpline on 0800 916 9847 or visit