Kilbagie, about a mile north of Kincardine, is noted for its paper works, being the base of Kilbagie Recycled Fibres Limited. Run by the LPC Group, the waste paper recycling plant has the capacity to recycle 50,000 tonnes of waste paper into cleansed pulp every year. The majority of the pulp is used by the group's Leicester-based paper mill, but there are plans to develop a new state-of-the-art mill on the site.
In the latter part of the 19th century, the village had, in a converted mill, its own grain whisky distillery which was thought to be one of the largest in the country. Grain from the distillery was used to feed 7000 cattle kept in outhouses at the distillery.
The village was also home to rope and sail manufacturing as well as the first paper mill, opened by James Alexander Weir in 1874. For a while a mile-long canal ran between the distillery and Kennetpans on the Forth for the transport of grain. It operated for about 80 years from the 1780s.
A tram was also used for a while, as was a rail link to Kilbagie, established by Weir, providing the required transport for the finished paper.
Details taken from "West Fife Villages Guide" produced by Links Media for West Fife Villages Community Planning Group.