From Monday 26 April, hospitality venues such as cafés, pubs and restaurants can reopen, along with tourist accommodation. Non-essential retail outlets and close contact services such as beauty salons can also reopen, in addition to indoor attractions and public buildings such as galleries, museums and libraries.
The remaining travel restrictions within Scotland will be lifted and travel within the UK will be permitted for any purpose. If everyone continues to follow the rules, the First Minister said it is expected that all of Scotland will move to Level 2 on Monday 17 May.
Further changes from 26 April include:
- adults on the shielding list can return to the workplace, if they cannot work from home, while children who have been shielding can return to school
- non-essential work inside people’s homes – such as painting, decorating or repairing – will be permitted, subject to mitigations
- non-essential informal childcare will resume
- driving lessons and tests can take place, while gyms and swimming pools can reopen for individual exercise
- the attendance limit for funerals and weddings – and related events such as receptions – will increase to 50
- cafés, pubs and restaurants can resume full outdoor service, subject to local licensing, and serve food indoors without alcohol until 8pm
- takeaways to resume normal service, with physical distancing and face masks in premises
The First Minister also announced that rapid coronavirus (COVID-19) tests will be made available to anyone in Scotland and to those planning travel to the islands.
For more detailed information see the Scottish Government website.
Timetable for easing restrictions
At present we are expecting to mover through the levels on the following dates:
- 26 April: mainland Scotland and islands at Level 4 are expected to move to Level 3. Islands at Level 3 will remain there until 17 May
- 17 May: all of Scotland will move to Level 2
- June (early): all of Scotland will move to Level 1
- June (late): all of Scotland will move to Level 0
See the attached PDF table for summary information on what you can and cannot do at each level.