To protect yourself and others
- wear a face covering
- avoid crowded places
- clean hands and surfaces regularly
- stay 2m away from other people self-isolate
- book a test if you have COVID-19 symptoms (new continuous cough, fever or loss of, or change in, sense of smell or taste)
Clean your hands often
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or hand sanitiser for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
Avoid close contact
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Put distance between yourself and other people.
If you have to stay at home for 10 days see our section of self isolating.
- Clean all surfaces every day with a household cleaner that’s active against viruses and bacteria. Pay special attention to frequently touched areas. Usual household products like detergents and bleach are effective.
- Wash your hands with soap and water after cleaning surfaces and handling clothing and bedding.
You can securely store personal waste, e.g.used tissues and disposable cleaning cloths within disposable rubbish bags. These should be:
- Placed into another bag
- Tied securely
- Kept separate from other waste in your room
- Put aside for at least 72 hours before being putting in your usual external household waste bin
Other household waste can be disposed of as normal.
Don’t shake dirty laundry as this can spread the virus through the air. Wash laundry using the highest temperature setting indicated on the garment care label. Wash laundry separately from other people living in your household. If you don’t have a washing machine, wait a further 3 days after your 10 day isolation period has ended and wash at a laundrette.