Our Minor Injuries units have been treating increased numbers of people suffering from breaks, strains and other injuries related to slips and falls. So, if you’re clearing snow and ice from your driveway, paths, or pavements remember:
- Do it early in the day – it’s easier to move fresh snow.
- Don’t use water – it might refreeze and turn to black ice.
- Use salt if possible – this will melt the ice or snow and stop it from refreezing.
- If you have ash or sand handy, this can also help.
- Pay extra attention when clearing steps and steep pathways.
- Take care when shovelling snow – it can be heavy work, and could strain your back, or even your heart.
To find out more about preparing for winter visit our winter preparedness section.