Norovirus, also known as the ‘winter vomiting bug’ can be caught at any time of the year, although it is more common in the winter.
It spreads easily and can affect anyone of any age, causing vomiting, diarrhoea, mild fever and headaches. Although unpleasant, Norovirus is not usually dangerous.
There’s no cure, you just have to let the bug run its course and avoid contact with other people until you feel better. This will usually take just a few days.
If you do become unwell with Norovirus:-
- Stay at home until you no longer have symptoms for 2-3 days
- Drink plenty of liquid to prevent dehydration, water is best
- Get plenty of rest
- Avoid preparing food for your family until you no longer have symptoms
- Don't visit friends and relatives if you feel unwell - you can still be infectious up to 48 hours after your symptoms go
It's especially important to avoid visiting anyone in a hospital or a care home, as norovirus is more serious for people who are already ill.
Hospitals and care homes may temporarily suspend visiting in certain areas if norovirus is about. This is to stop the virus spreading - especially to ill or elderly people.
To reduce your chances of catching Norovirus:-
- Keep your hands clean
- Don't share towels, flannels and toothbrushes
- Keep household surfaces clean
- Avoid raw, unwashed fruit, rinse fruit and vegetables before eating them