If you have a complaint about a doctor, there are a number of ways to handle this.   Most complaints about doctors can be settled locally, and more quickly, by the doctor’s employers. The NHS hospital, GP practice or clinic where you received care has its own complaints procedures. However, if you have a more serious complaint against a doctor that you think affects whether the individual should be allowed to keep practising medicine you should contact the GMC.

The General Medical Council has made things quicker, simpler and more transparent for patients to help you with the complaint process.

They have published Patients’ Help, an interactive guide with information about the complaints process, case studies and contacts for support organisations across the UK.

They have also launched a guide for patients with information about where to go for advice in Scotland, and an online complaints form for patients and the public to make raising concerns quicker and simpler.

If you're not sure who to speak to, we have developed an online, interative guide to making complaints called Patient's Help. You can find this, along with all their compaints leaftlets and forms at www.gmc-uk.org/concerns.  You can also call them to discuss your concerns on 0161 923 6602. All calls are confidential and you will receive advice on what to do.


For more information contact

Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager 
Tel: 01592 648153 Contact Louise Ewing online
By Post: NHS Fife, Hayfield House Hayfield Road Kirkcaldy Fife KY2 5AH


We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.