Know Who To Turn To - Your GP Practice

When you have an injury or illness that just won’t go away or does not improve you can make an appointment with your GP.

Your GP is your family doctor and provides a range of services and will assess your health as well as offering advice, information,
prescriptions and support with ongoing care.

If you are unwell and feel you can’t wait until your GP practice is open call NHS 24 on 111.


Registering with a GP Practice

If you need to register with a new GP Practice, these are the steps that you will need to follow to make sure that your new GP Practice has all your medical history and a copy of your medical records.

  • Step 1: Find your nearest GP.

    You can use our 'Find My Nearest' function on the NHS Fife homepage to find your nearest GP Practice/Doctors Surgery.
    Find your nearest GP
    Please note that not all practices serve all areas, please check with your local GP practice.
  • Contact the practiceStep 2: Once you have found your nearest GP Practice, get in touch and make an enquiry to find out whether the GP Practice can accept you as a patient.


  • Make an appointmentStep 3: If they can accept you as a patient you will be asked to make an appointment to register.

    You will need to bring your medical card with you.

    If you don't have a medical card, please provide the new practice with full details of your previous practice as well as your current and previous addresses.
  • Complete application to register formStep 4: When you attend the GP Practice for your appointment you will be asked to complete an 'Application to Register with a General Medical Practice' form.

    On completion of the form you will then be registered with your new GP Practice.


For more information about registering with a GP Practice in Scotland, visit the Practioner Services Website or you can call 0345 300 1216


What if the practice doesn’t accept me?

Sometimes, you may not be able to register with a GP practice, for example, if:

  • you live outside the area that the practice covers
  • the practice is not accepting new patients

You will need to register with another GP practice in your area instead.

It is also important to note that you can only register with a GP Practice if you are staying in the area for more than three months. If you are not, you may still be treated but as a Temporary Resident. For more information on being treated as a Temporary Resident please contact your nearest GP Practice.


You can contact Practitioner Services for assistance on finding an alternative GP practice.

  • Telephone number 0345 300 1024

    Our telephone lines are open between 08:30 - 16:30 Monday to Thursday, and 08:30 - 16:00 on a Friday.

  • You can write to Practitioner Services at;

    Practitioner Services (Medical)
    NHS National Services Scotland
    Gyle Square
    1 South Gyle Crescent
    EH12 9EB 


We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.