Naloxone Supply Service
Naloxone is a pharmaceutical drug which can temporarily reverse the effect of an opiate overdose, providing more time for an ambulance to arrive and treatment to be given.
On Ist October 2015 new regulations came into force which allow for the widening of the availability of Naloxone. The new regulations allow people employed by drug treatment services to make a supply of Naloxone to others without the need for a prescription or under a Patient Group Direction. In all other circumstances Naloxone remains a prescription only medicine. The legislation is specific to staff in drug treatment services which include community pharmacies providing opioid replacement therapy or injecting equipment.
The Fife Community Pharmacy Naloxone Supply Service aims to support the National Take Home Naloxone Programme by increasing the availability and awareness of Naloxone across NHS Fife. This service will be provided by community pharmacies engaged in Injecting Equipment Provision in selected geographical locations according to need.
The National Take Home Naloxone (THN) programme involves Naloxone being provided to those thought to be at risk of opiate overdose - once they have undergone training. Overdose awareness training and Naloxone will also be available to family, friends, carers, partners and other people drug users associate with and who are likely to be in the vicinity if an overdose occurs.
The THN service will be available for the time being from:
- JBB Dick Ltd, 28 East Port, Dunfermline
- Alderston Pharmacy, 6 Alderston Drive, Dunfermline
- Boots the Chemist, Lyon Square, Glenrothes
- St Clair Pharmacy, 233 St Clair Street, Kirkcaldy
- Boots the Chemist, 116-120 High Street, Kirkcaldy
- Boots the Chemist, Retail Park, Kirkcaldy
- Boots the Chemist, 47 High Street, Leven
- Your Local Boots Pharmacy, Ajax Way, Methil
- ADP Take Home Naloxone Supply Framework
- Pharmacy Naloxone Service Specification
- Naloxone Training and Supply Record - fillable PDF
- Naloxone Training and Supply Record
- Naloxone Providers in NHS Fife
- One to One Training Checklist - fillable PDF
- One to One Training Checklist
- Pharmacy SOP guidance
Further information on Take Home Naloxone is available at: