Dieticians working within the service provide individual, co-ordinated dietary advice for people with a learning disability, their carers and families, as well as more general training for staff.
We aim to provide each client and their carers with information to achieve their optimum nutritional intake by:
- identifying people who are at risk of over or under nutrition
- assessing nutritional status
- advising, counselling and assisting in appropriate food choices.
This is achieved by:
- providing training on nutrition
- developing teaching materials and resources to suit individuals
- negotiating individual dietary goals with clients
- monitoring, reviewing and evaluating their progress
- being realistic about clients abilities to make dietary changes
We encourage feedback from clients and staff and endeavour to modify our practice so that the needs of the client are best met.