It is not unusual for children and young people to have personal problems or worries. Sometimes you may be able to work things out on your own and sometimes it helps to work through a problem with someone outside your family. Parents often have concerns about their child and can find it helpful to talk these over with a psychologist.


Who are We?

You may see a Clinical Psychologist or a Clinical Associate Psychologist. Both are specially trained to help children, young people and their families to cope with worries or difficulties, and to help manage these better.

Common reasons for children, young people and their families seeing Clinical or Associate Psychologists include:

  • worries and anxieties
  • low or depressed mood
  • anger problems
  • problems with eating
  • coping with ill-health
  • sleep difficulties
  • behaviour problems
  • changes in family relations, including coping with traumatic separation, divorce or bereavement
  • social difficulties, including friendships, bullying and loneliness
  • coping with experiences of abuse or trauma
  • problems with attention and impulsivity

There are currently around 10 full-time equivalent Psychologists working in the child & family service, 5 of whom work in teams with CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services). There are also a few psychologists who work specifically with children with developmental difficulties and their families. We have Trainee Clinical Psychologists and, at times, Assistant Psychologists who work under the supervision of Clinical Psychologists.


Where are we based?

We have 2 bases at Lynebank Hospital, Dunfermline (01383 565400) and at Stratheden Hospital, Cupar (01334 652611).

We offer appointments in Health Centres, Clinics and GP surgeries throughout Fife, including Cowdenbeath, Dunfermline, Glenrothes, Leven, Kirkcaldy, Rosyth, Inverkeithing and St. Andrews


What do we do?

We provide a wide range of clinical psychology services for children and young people aged up to 18 years.

We work in a number of different ways to promote and facilitate emotional health, wellbeing and relationships within families. We work with young people and their parents alone and in groups.

We offer a range of evidence-based and innovative services to improve well being and quality of life for children, young people and families.

We offer assessment and therapeutic interventions tailored to the needs of children or young people and their family.

We work with and offer support to a wide range of other services and professions to contribute to providing the best and most suitable care.


How can a referral be made?

A referral can be made by your GP, health visitor or other NHS staff. We also accept referrals from other agencies, including Social Work, Education, and the voluntary sector.

For a wealth of helpful resources and links for children, young people and parents, please go to>Self Help Material>Children Young People and Families at


For more information contact

NHS Fife, Switchboard 
Tel: 01592 643355
By Post: NHS Fife, Hayfield House Hayfield Road Kirkcaldy Fife KY2 5AH


We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.