Children Attending Hospital
All of the staff on the Children's Ward are here to help make your stay as comfortable as possible.
Please speak to one of the staff if there is anything you want to tell us or would like us to know.
You can find the Children's Ward on the Ground Floor, New Wing (Phase 3), Victoria Hospital. There is a dedicated entrance for Childrens Services at the front of the New Wing.
On the Children's Ward we operate an "open visiting policy" this allows parents/family members to be with their child during the duration of their hospital stay. We provide on the ward a parents sitting room for the use of parents only. Tea, coffee and refreshments are available as is the use of a fridge and microwave for parents who may be staying for a period of time. This room accommodates a TV, magazines and an assortment of information which we hope is useful to parents with children in hospital.
What to expect on my ward:
The Senior Charge Nurse is: Sharon Lappin
It is my responsiblity to ensure that the ward team deliver high quality care that is family centred, safe and effective.
What this means for you:
Person & Family – Centred
- We will ensure that children and families are involved in their care and feel comfortable asking questions relating to their care. The nurse who is looking after your child will introduce him/herself to you each shift. We have a patient feedback questionnaire and an improvement tree where children and parents can provide us with feedback on how we can improve our service.
- We will ensure the environment is a safe place that is clean and well maintained.
- We will speak with parents frequently
- We will minimise the risk of infection by following NHS Fife’s Standard Infection Control Precautions.
- We will monitor standards of care and practice through a range of quality improvement measures and take action to improve care where necessary.
- We will take action if clinical practice and standards fall below an acceptable standard.
- We will welcome and act upon any feedback received from patients, carers, relatives or staff.
- Staff will be encouraged and supported to develop their knowledge and skills.
We do not want you to go away feeling unhappy with any aspect of your experience. If you would like to talk to us about this then please speak with the nurse in charge.
Alternatively we would be pleased to receive your feedback via the following websites:
- NHS Fife – Online Comments, concerns, compliments and complaints form, Telephone: 01592 648153
- Patient Advice & Support Service (PASS) – email@example.com Telephone: 0345 1400 093
- Patient Opinion – www.patientopinion.org.uk/youropinion
For more information contactNHS Fife, Switchboard
Tel: 01592 643355
By Post: NHS Fife, Hayfield House Hayfield Road Kirkcaldy Fife KY2 5AH