Gluten-free Food Service
If you are diagnosed as needing gluten-free food as part of your coeliac disease and/or dermatitis herpetiformis care, you can now access your prescription through the Scottish Gluten-free Food Service.
What is the Scottish Gluten-free Food Service?
The Scottish Gluten-free Food Service is a free NHS service that allows you to manage your gluten-free food prescription through your pharmacist instead of through your GP.
What are the benefits of the new service?
- Convenience - you no longer have to contact your GP to alter your prescription
- Control - you will gain control of the amount and type of foods you order each month to an agreed amount
- Choice - you will have a food list to choose from which means more variety in your diet
- Monitoring - adults using the service will be offered an annual health check to monitor their condition from their pharmacist
Who can use this service?
To use this service, you must:
- have a confirmed diagnosis of coeliac disease and/or dermatitis herpetiformis
- live in Scotland
- be registered with a GP practice
- not live in a care home. Patients in care homes will continue to access gluten-free foods through their GP.
How to register
Before you register, your GP will inform you that you can start to use this service and let you know how many units you are entitled to each month. Your GP will also give you a 'Patient Registration Form', which you will take to the pharmacist you wish to use for your prescriptions.
Your pharmacist will provide you with all the necessary information about the service to make it easy for you to use.
How to place an order
To place an order, you will choose products from a 'Gluten-free Food List’ up to your maximum unit amount and complete a ‘Gluten-free Food Requirement Order Form’ before taking it your pharmacist. The pharmacist will let you know when your order is ready for collection.
A new order form must be completed and handed to your pharmacist each month. If you need help with any aspect of this process then please ask your pharmacist.
Annual health check (adults only)
If you are an adult with coeliac disease and decide to use this new service, you will be invited for an annual coeliac disease health check by your pharmacist to help monitor your condition.
Scottish Gluten-free Food Service Information Pack
NHS Scotland has produced a pack containing more information about this service. This is available to download through the NHS inform website - www.nhsinform.co.uk/GFFSeligibility
Questions about the service
Your pharmacist will always be happy to answer questions about your condition and this new service.
You can also call the NHS inform helpline on 0800 22 44 88 with any questions.
More information about coeliac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis & Fife Gluten Free Food List
Coeliac UK – www.coeliac.org.uk
Fife Gluten Free Foods list – www.nhsfife.org
For more information contactNHS Inform, NHS Inform
Tel: 0800 22 44 88