The maternity ward is a 24 bedded ward with mixed ante and post natal patients.
Infant hearing screening is carried out in the ward.
The Maternity Ward is on the 2nd floor of the new wing (phase 3) at Victoria Hospital, and can be reached by using the 'Maternity Unit' entrance.
We’re here to help.
Please speak to one of the staff if there is anything you want to tell us or would like us to know.
Person Centred Visiting
There is growing recognition of the importance of encouraging and supporting people in hospital to stay connected to the people that matter most in their lives. NHS Fife is committed to Person Centred Visiting where visiting times are not restricted.
As per the wishes of the person receiving care, relatives and/or friends will be supported to be involved with their loved ones care as much or as little as they desire. Our Partners in Care programme recognises that the needs of an individual may be best met by those who know them best (family, friends and carers), so although there is no expectation, we welcome you to participate in care should you so wish. The staff will work with you to agree how you might do this, and will review at regular intervals.
Typically mealtimes are sociable occasions therefore there is no restriction to you being present at mealtimes.
Number of Visitors
Although there is no restriction on the number of visitors, in areas where space is limited we may need to restrict numbers of visitors at any one time. We would also ask that you take steps to spread the number of visitors across the day.
Sometimes there may be cultural or personal reasons why a person wants to have a large number of people present and we will be sensitive and flexible in such circumstances. However, if a person is being cared for in a multiple occupancy room and wishes to have a large number of people present then a negotiation needs to take place to make sure the comfort and dignity of other people in the room are taken into account and not compromised.
Privacy and Dignity
There are important considerations to bear in mind to protect the privacy and dignity of people in hospital. On occasion you may request you leave the room in circumstance such as;
- We need to have a conversation about confidential matters with a person who is in a multiple occupancy room. This will allow the conversation to take place more privately.
- Where something of highly personal nature has to be performed e.g attending to toileting needs
Access to Hospital
For security reasons the main entrance to all NHS Fife hospitals are locked. The times for each hospital vary. If you wish to visit after these times you will be required to make arrangements with the ward staff.
What to expect on my ward:
The Senior Charge Nurse is: Lynn David
It is my responsibility to make sure that the ward team deliver high quality care that is person-centred, safe and effective.
What this means for you:
Person – Centred
- We will treat all patients, carers, relatives and staff with care and compassion and value them as individuals.
- We will ensure that our patients are informed about and involved in their care. With permission we will ensure that their carers are also involved.
- We will ensure the environment is a safe place that is clean and well maintained.
- We will speak to our patients frequently to ensure their safety and comfort
- We will minimise the risk of infection by following NHS Fife’s Standard Infection Control Precautions.
- We will monitor standards of care and practice through a range of quality improvement measures and take action to improve care where necessary.
- We will take action if clinical practice and standards fall below an acceptable standard.
- We will welcome and act upon any feedback received from patients, carers, relatives or staff.
- Staff will be encouraged and supported to develop their knowledge and skills.
We do not want you to go away feeling unhappy with any aspect of your experience. If you would like to talk to us about this then please speak with the nurse in charge.
Alternatively we would be pleased to receive your feedback via the following websites:
- NHS Fife – Online Comments, concerns, compliments and complaints form, Telephone: 01592 648153
- Patient Advice & Support Service (PASS) – email@example.com Telephone: 0345 1400 093
- Patient Opinion – www.patientopinion.org.uk/youropinion
For more information contact the Maternity Ward on extension 29242
For more information contactNHS Fife, Switchboard
Tel: 01592 643355
By Post: NHS Fife, Hayfield House Hayfield Road Kirkcaldy Fife KY2 5AH