Travel less, work smarter
To deliver the Fife Council vision and strategic aims we are looking at various ways in which we conduct our business, develop our culture and values, while empowering our employees to make sustanable choices in their day to day delivery of services. Meeting clients, partners, stakeholders and colleagues is a vital part of the delivery of services and to do this we sometimes have to undertake business travel, or do we?
Analysis of our travel patterns highlights that there are a high proportion of short journeys for business being made by cars with single occupancy.To help minimise the congestion, parking difficulties, negative environmental impacts and the cost of these day to day business travel choices, we all need to help.
So, how can you help and what choices can you make before going out on business:
Ask yourself:- Do I really need to leave the office ?
If I do, what is te best way to travel?
Did you know?
- The Council has invested in telephone and video conferencing facilities available for all staff to use. It’s easy and can save your Service a lot of time and money.
- Why travel miles for a short meeting when you can stay in your building or one nearby?
- In some instances a phone call, skype message, video conference or an e-mail may deliver the same outcome.
Click here to find out which buildings our video conference suites are located.
Headsets for video conferences or skype calls using PC’s and laptops can be ordered on First Contact at:
- Services > Technology > Email, Phones and Mobile Devices > VOIP Telephone System > Double Phone Headsets
On the same First Contact page:
- Services > Headset / Handset for Video Conferencing
There is a cost to your Service when ordering this equipment.
If I must travel, what are my options?
- Walking - is completely free and can contribute to your recommended 30 minutes of physical activity a day. Walking will keep you fit and the more you do it, the better you will feel.
- Cycling - is a great way to get around town; it’s fast and can help you avoid the build-up of traffic on the roads.
If your journey is essential, another option is public transport.
Fife has fantastic bus and train facilities available to you, for more information on public transport click here.
By using the bus or train it can save you time and the hassle of having to drive.
Did you know?
- Employees can obtain travel vouchers through First Contact allowing them to use public transport when travelling on Council business.
- Employees can also use the Fife Council employee discount to buy Stagecoach bus tickets themselves and claim back the cost when travelling on Council business.
If your journey is necessary and you can’t make it by bus or train, walking or cycling then book one of the pool cars available at site across Fife.
Click here for further details. Obviously remembering to ask around your office to find out if anyone is going in the same direction as you that day will save money for your Service.
If you need a car for more than one day, an external hire could be considered - as this frees up Council pool cars for multiple users. It can often work out to be cheaper to use an external hire.
- These vehicles can be delivered to almost any location, but they require a signature.
- The delivery and collection can be arranged from any Council depot.
The email address for the Hire Desk is firstname.lastname@example.org (VOIP 441317) and the desk is covered from 09.00 to 17.00 Monday to Friday. If possible, please give 24 to 48 hours’ notice, to ensure a successful hire commitment (for more information please see Hire request Notification Period).
A valid cost centre subjective is needed, along with Service approval.
If you would like more information or advice on travelling for business, then please contact the Travel Plan team by emailing email@example.com