- Date awarded: June 2021
- Awarded value: £24,000
- Fund: Sexual Health Fund and General Fund
- Location: Fife-wide
A partnership led by Sexual Health and Blood Borne Virus staff was awarded funding to procure a mobile unit or “clinic on wheels” that will benefit excluded and marginalised groups during and beyond COVID 19. The mobile clinic will provide a base where preventative health advice and interventions can be accessed.
Due to a global shortage of components for new vans, the team have borrowed a van and are trialling their ‘clinic on wheels’ until their own vehicle is delivered, kitted out and branded.
The simple idea behind this project is to provide a way of reaching people who do not or cannot access health services either in traditional clinic setting or through the emerging technologies such as Near Me.
In the initial stages of the project the beneficiaries are likely to be those known to frontline workers involved in the informal Test and Protect Inclusion approach group.
The initial focus will be:
- People experiencing homelessness, mental health and substance use issues.
- People affected by blood borne viruses and other diseases of disadvantage.
- People who inject drugs.
- People from Black and Minority Ethnic groups including Gypsy Travellers.
- Women experiencing multiple disadvantages who need support relating to sexual and reproductive health or gender based violence
As the project develops it is expected the unit will be used to deliver a range of services in town centre, residential and rural settings. These may include:
- Triage, assessment and liaison with mental health, recovery and housing services
- Harm reduction services including injecting equipment provision (IEP) and wound care assessment, advice and liaison.
- Access to testing for blood born viruses
- Fibro scans to determine liver health
- Whole population public health and health promotion initiatives
- Access to digital technology (e.g. smart phones or data packages)
- Access to advocacy, welfare advice and food.
Funding was awarded to cover 2 years lease of the vehicle and conversion.