A campaign has been launched by The Scottish Government and Road Safety Scotland* to tackle the serious issue of speeding, with a clear message for all drivers – There’s no excuse for speeding. Latest figures show excessive speed was reported as a contributory factor in 21% of fatal accidents. The majority of people (at least occasionally) exceed the legal speed limit:
- 33% of people admit to exceeding the speed limit by 5mph in 30mph zones at least once in the past year.
- 31% of people exceeded the speed limit by 5mph in 20mph areas in the last year.
- 8% admit to having driven at least once in the past year at 90mph on the motorway.
- 27% of drivers admit to having sped up through amber at least once in the past year.
- 13% admit they have exceeded the speed limit by 10 mph in a 30mph zone.2
The Scotland-wide campaign highlights some of the excuses commonly used by drivers to justify their speeding behaviours, while reminding those behind the wheel that, if they’re caught, they could face severe penalties. It doesn’t matter if you think you’re only speeding ‘a little bit’ – there’s no excuse for speeding.
For more information visit roadsafety.scot/topics/speed or check out the Road Safety Scotland Facebook and Twitter (@roadsafetyscot) pages.