Monday 19th September 2022 has been designated as an exceptional public holiday for the state funeral of Her Majesty The Queen.
A number of measures are being put in place to enable vital healthcare services to continue, whilst allowing as many staff and patients as possible who wish to observe the day to do so.
In line with national guidance, we are working to ensure that scheduled activity and appointments are maintained wherever possible.
- Elective Surgery – Our surgical theatre programme will continue to operate based on clinical priority. Patients will be contacted directly if their appointment needs to be rescheduled, and unless patients hear otherwise, they should attend their appointment on Monday. If patients wish to reschedule, due to the State Funeral, they should do so by using the contact details in their appointment letter.
- Outpatient Appointments - we intend to retain as many of our outpatient appointments as possible and patients are advised to continue to attend at their allocated appointment time unless they are contacted directly to reschedule. If patients wish to reschedule, due to the State Funeral, they should do so by using the contact details in their appointment letter.
- Flu and COVID-19 Vaccination Programme - The Flu and COVID-19 vaccination programme will continue on Monday 19th September. With council buildings in Fife closed on the day of the State Funeral, appointments at Parkgate Community Centre are being moved to the Bruce Suite at Queen Margaret Hospital in Dunfermline, with the appointment time remaining the same. Those affected will receive a letter confirming details of this change, including information on how to reschedule if this change of venue is not suitable. Anyone who wishes to reschedule their appointment on the date of the State Funeral should call the national vaccination helpline on 0800 030 8013 to amend their appointment.
- Medical Practices – Medical practices in Fife will be closed on Monday 19th September and will re-open on Tuesday 20th September. Anyone who requires these services urgently and cannot wait until they re-open should call NHS 24 on 111.
- General Dentistry - It is anticipated that many Dental practices will be closed on Monday 19th September, reopening on Tuesday 20th September. If you require urgent dental treatment on Monday 19 September, please ring your own practice in the first instance who will have instructions to follow in the case of an emergency.
- Community Pharmacy - Many Community Pharmacies will be closed on Monday 19th September, however, some pharmacies will remain open. You can find out which practices near you are open by visiting: nhsfife.org/pharmacyopeningtimes. As with any public holiday, people are encouraged to ensure their prescriptions are up-to-date ahead of the closure.
- Optometry practices - Many Opticians across Fife will also be observing the public holiday. If you require urgent eye care and it cannot wait until the optometrist reopens, please contact NHS 24 on 111.
Given the short notice ahead of this exceptional public holiday, some services are still putting plans in place ahead of the State Funeral. Any additional information about healthcare services in Fife, or updates to the information outlined above, will be published on the NHS Fife website, at: www.nhsfife.org and on the Board’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram channels.