Last night the male public toilet near the main entrance to the Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy was wilfully set alight around 2100hrs.
The Fire Service attended and dealt with the fire swiftly, managing to contain it to the toilet area.
There was however a significant amount of smoke and the Accident and Emergency Observation Ward had to be evacuated as a precaution.
No patients or staff were injured during the incident and the Accident and Emergency Observation Ward was reinstated around 2245 with patients returning to the area.
The toilet area is currently cordoned off and NHS Fife is working with Police Scotland and aiding them with their investigation.
NHS Fife would like to thank our staff and blue light colleagues for their swift action to contain this fire, helping to ensure the safety of our patients and colleagues on site last night and minimise the damage caused.