Click on the blue boxes below.
Things to talk through with your family/ carers/ support team:
- Do you have a mobile phone? If so what is the main thing you use it for?
- Do you use Apps? Are there Apps that can support your daily living?
- Do you use Alexa or something similar as a clock/ alarm/ timer?
- Do you use your mobile phone as your main clock in the house?
Ideas for ways that you could use technology to support your daily living activities:
- Electronic Timers (for example on your mobile phone) - these can be used for cooking in the kitchen or to time other activities for example the length of time that you brush your teeth.
- Alexa – Alexa can be used for setting audio reminders for certain activities such as when to take medications, or when to leave the house for appointments.
- Music – Music can help support you with transitions between steps, and encourage focus on music as a timer.
- I-pad/ tablet – I-pads and tablets can be used so displaying visuals and timetables.
If you need further support for how technology can support you in your home or in the community please contact the Occupational Therapy department on 01383 565223.
“An individual was having difficulty remembering to take their medication. To support them with this their staff helped to set up an Alexa in their living room that would remind the person that it was time to take the medication. The individual found this really useful and as a result required less support for taking medication.”
Learning Disability Occupational Therapist