Nutrition is important as you prepare for your surgery. Good nutrition will support your wound healing, reduce the risk of any complications and may reduce your time in hospital following surgery.
Top tips to help you prepare for surgery;
- Aim to have a balanced and varied diet. Further information on how to achieve this can be accessed here.
- Watch your portion sizes, having too much of any foods can be bad for our health. Further information about portion sizes can be accessed here.
- Aim for 3 small meals and 3 snacks per day.
- Stay hydrated – aim for 1.5-2 Litres of fluid per day, this is the equivalent of about 6-8 glasses per day. Avoid sugary or high calorie drinks.
- If you are aiming to lower your Body Mass Index (BMI), losing 5-10% of your body weight can have an impact on your overall health. You should only do this if you have been advised to lose weight by a health professional.
- Drink alcohol within sensible limits. Further information regarding this can be accessed here.
- Limit your salt and sugar intake.
- Aim to increase your physical activity.
Listen here to TOPMEDTALK-how to eat well
Nutrition web links
Here are some links to some useful websites offering help with how to get the best from your nutritional choices.
NHS Live Well BMI calculator https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/
NHS Live Well Healthy weight weight-loss plan https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/start-the-nhs-weight-loss-plan/
Drink aware unit and calorie calculator https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tools/unit-and-calorie-calculator
BAPEN Nourishing drinks https://www.bapen.org.uk/pdfs/food-first-leaflets/nourishing-drinks.pdf
BAPEN 100 Calorie boosters https://www.bapen.org.uk/pdfs/food-first-leaflets/100-calorie-boosters.pdf
BAPEN Making every mouthful count https://www.bapen.org.uk/pdfs/food-first-leaflets/making-every-mouthful-count.pdf
British Dietetic Association – Iron food fact sheet https://www.bda.uk.com/uploads/assets/f2abf0e1-fa59-49db-a0afb1cb1bf9a878/Iron-food-fact-sheet.pdf
Health Scotland – Vitamin D Leaflet http://www.healthscotland.com/uploads/documents/5274-__Vitamin%20D%20leaflet-May2020-English.pdf