They work alongside other partners in practice education such as Care Home Education Facilitators (CHEFS) and Practice Education Leads. Practice education involves teaching and learning that happens in practice or work-based settings. PEF’s work in partnership involving NHS Education Scotland (NES), National Health Service Boards (NHS) and Higher Education Institutions (HEI’s) The principle aims of the PEF role are to:
- Enhance the Quality Management of the Practice Learning Environment (QMPLE) through sign posting and supporting adherence to the NES Quality Standards of Practice Learning (QSPL) and educational audit
- Identify and support the development of new PLEs, increasing capacity to effectively support nursing and midwifery students.
- In accordance with the NMC (2018) Standards for Student Supervision and Assessment, support the development of both new and experienced practice supervisors and practice assessors, and those in wider practice education support roles.
- Contribute to and enhance the quality of the practice learning experience through encouraging; evaluation, feedback and collaborative working with practice placement providers, university staff, students and service users and families.
- Provide support, educational input and development activities for staff and students within practice learning environments and contribute to the development of pre-registration and post-registration education programmes - reflecting the needs of the future nursing/midwifery workforce.
- As a registered nurse, midwife or health care support worker, evidence is required of continuing professional development. The PEF helps facilitate this for staff, by signposting them to learning and development resources available locally and nationally, such as Flying Start.
- Collaborate on various work streams to ultimately enhance the quality of the practice learning experience and positively contribute to the future nursing/midwifery workforce (e.g., development of a student resource to support digitally enhanced placements).
The PEF role includes providing support in accordance with policies and standards such as those below:
- NMC Realising professionalism: Standards for education and training Part 2: Standards for student supervision and assessment (2018)
- NES Quality Standards for Practice Learning (QSPL)
- Turas Learn: Future nurse and midwife