All newborns in Scotland are offered a hearing screen. A clear response means there is unlikely to be a hearing loss that will significantly affect the development of speech and language. This hearing screening test allows newborns who have a hearing loss to be identified early. Early identification is known to be important for the development of the child and means that support and information can be provided to parents at an early stage.
Who are the services for?
Paediatric Hearing Services are a service for babies, children and young people who:
- Need a hearing test because of concerns about their hearing or development
- Have a known hearing loss and need help and support
A hearing problem is not always obvious, particularly in young children. There are different degrees and types of hearing impairment. Although a child may respond to some sounds around the home, they may not be able to hear all the sounds that they should be hearing.
- A child may not respond to some sounds around the house, for example a key in a lock, creaking floors, or a door opening.
- A child may have difficulty hearing you when you are out of sight
- A child may not respond to quiet sounds but respond to loud sounds
- A child may have more difficulty hearing in noisy places
- A child's behaviour may alter, becoming more disruptive or naughty
The level at which a child can hear plays a major role in their development and their ability to develop good speech and language skills.
The service receives referrals from any professionals in contact with babies, children and young people where there are concerns about the hearing.
What services are provided?
Services offered include:
- Specialist hearing assessment from newborn babies to adolescents
- Fitting, evaluation of progress and ongoing maintenance of NHS digital hearing aids
Paediatric Audiology Services follow national guidelines and recognised best practice whilst also meeting the individual needs of children and their families. We involve parents in the decision making for their child and in the development and improvement of our services.