Accessing health records

If you wish to access health records, as a general rule you should contact the person responsible for managing records at the place where the treatment took place. In most cases this will be:

  • the health records manager if treatment took place in an acute hospital
  • the senior nurse if you stayed in a community hospital
  • the health professional you saw in an outpatient setting or
  • the practice manager at the GP surgery

If you wish to request copies of deceased patient’s records the Access to Health Records Act (1990) applies.

For more information on Health Records and subject access please contact the NHS Fife switchboard on 01592 643355.